Friday, August 19, 2011

Cooking Floyd: More Summer Eating

Oh.  my.  god.
Peach and Late Blueberry Tart
Heirloom Tomato Terrine
Peach and Blueberry Tart
This tart is the simple recipe.  I so cheated with this too because I used a Pillsbury pie crust.  Not a shaped one, the kind that come rolled up in a box.

Preheat the oven to 450F

Stir together a half cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of instant clear jell, a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.  Peel and slice about 7 cups of peaches.  Toss them in the bowl with the powdered mixture and gently stir to thoroughly coat.  Toss in about a half a pint of blueberries and gently stir them in.  I bet red raspberries would be good here.

Lay one of the pre-made pie crusts (or make your own) on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet.  Mound the filling in the center of the dough leaving a generous 2" border.  Lift the edge of the dough and start pleating your way around the tart.  Press the pleats against the sides for added stability.  Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.  Check the tart about half way through and if the crust is getting too brown, tent a piece of foil over the tart.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.  I brushed the top of the tart with red currant jelly but that's optional.  Any jelly will work.  It adds shine.  After the tart cooled but was still slightly warm I was able to slide it off the sheet and onto a plate with very little trouble.

Heirloom Tomato Terrine
At family reunions during the late 60's to mid 70's my cousins and I would stand looking at the molded salads on the pot luck buffet table and make remarks like, "I'm not eating that - it's not done moving!" or "That's not Jello, that's an abomination!"  I was entranced by the tomato terrine in this month's issue of Bon Appetit until I read gelatin on the ingredients list.  But the tomatoes are coming in strong and I had three different heirlooms in a basket waiting to be used.

This is SO good!  It's not a difficult recipe but it does take some time.  Do it up and serve it to friends so they can admire your handiwork and savor the flavors of heirloom tomatoes.  This is an 8 serving recipe but Michael and I happily devoured half of it in one go.  And if you'll excuse me, I'm off for more for lunch.  Click on the title above and it will take you directly to BA's website and the recipe itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment